Wednesday 10 August 2011

Up close and personal with the Rockies...

Wow, what a few days! On Sunday I spent the day with an old friend from Camp Manitou, and her 1 year old twin boys Casey and Liam.



 It's been a few years since Lindsay and I have seen each other and it's quite unbelievable that it happens to be in Alberta! Lindsay has always been one of the most adventurous people I know - her husband Rob and her have travelled all over North America and now have settled at the base of the Rocky Mountains in Canmore to raise their kids!

I packed up Charger and headed out to Canmore to see them... and it was my first up close and personal experience with the Rocky Mountains... as I was approaching them, I just couldn't get over how amazing and beautiful they were... I had to force myself to keep my eyes on the road!!



It was a wonderful day - we headed out to Banff and hiked up Tunnel Mountain. Rob was at work for the day, so Casey and Liam came along for the hike. Luckily, Lindsay has these really cool baby backpacks from MEC, so next thing I knew Casey was balanced happily on my back and Charger was tied around my waist! I was so nervous at first... I kept asking Lindsay "Is he going to fall out? Are you sure he is ok in there?", but as the hike went on I became a lot more comfortable, and Casey kept me entertained with his talking the whole way up!



It was such a beautiful hike - at the top you are overlooking the valley where the Banff Springs hotel is. Carrying a baby on my back and a dog tied around my waist, I was sweating and happy to reach the top... but it was worth it. It definetly deserved a quiet moment to think about where I was and how far I had come to appreciate the beauty that was surrounding me.






Then it was a quick stop for lunch (baby boys eat like champs!), and back down the mountain... Casey and Liam were both fast asleep by the time they reached the bottom - it wasn't exactly a smooth ride, proving once again that most men can fall asleep anywhere!


Once Rob came home we went out for a nice dinner in Canmore and I headed home for the night. Lindsay and I are planning a few more hikes soon, although we may try to plan them on days where Rob takes the kids, because they are a little more challenging than the one we went on this weekend... I am really looking forward to it!

On Monday I also got a job! I had a quick interview at Rylie's CattleBarn Cookhouse and Saloon, and next thing I knew the owner was asking me when I could start! I started Monday night, and it seems like it's going to be right up my alley! My uniform is a plaid shirt and jean shorts, they play country music and serve delicious steak and ribs... They also have an awesome rooftop patio. Yep, seems like my kind of place! Quite the change from teaching everyday, but I think it's going to suit me just fine for a while...!

Link to the website...

Tune in for adventures in Calgary... Miss you all tremendously!

1 comment:

  1. Well Amanda I am heading home tomorrow. So glad to hear that you made it out here unscathed. Canmore is one of my favorite places what with the quilt shop and the yarn shop and high tea at the Banff Springs hotel. I know I don't have to mention the mountains because what could possibly be said that wouldn't diminish. Take care of yourself and hope the job works out for you.
    Berni

    ReplyDelete