Wednesday 3 August 2011

Getting acquainted with my new home...

I awoke very early this morning, somewhat forgetting where I was. It was 5:30 am when I looked at the clock, and I lay in bed for a while before getting up.  I really wasn't that surprised – it would be 7:30 in Ontario, and early mornings have become the norm over the past week. It also takes me a while to become accustomed to sleeping in a new place. I had coffee on the little balcony and decided to take Charger out for a stroll along some of the walking paths.  This is the view from our balcony:



One thing I am already noticing about Okotoks is that they have a lot of parks, walking/biking trails and are very dog friendly! The trails go on forever and wind all over the town. I was worried at one point today that I wouldn't be able to find my way back! I'd like to find a map of the trail system so Charger and I can go and explore more thoroughly. Another thing I discovered this morning – don't go out without bug spray! I ended the walk itching my legs and arms mercilessly. Being from Ontario I suppose I should know better, but it isn't that common to get eaten by mosquitoes while walking around Guelph!




















I then took the opportunity to take a walk around downtown and get some groceries... and a haircut! Camping for 4 days with no conditioner and a ponytail did a lot of damage to my hair. Hopefully it will make me more presentable, because my mission tomorrow is to hand out resumes wherever possible and find myself a job! There are so many things I want to do, but they are going to cost money that at the moment I don't have!



I also took some time to make a nice dinner. It's a bit backwards – at home I don't really cook at all, but here I have cooked and made a nice dinner 2 nights in a row. Last night I went out and bought steak and barbequed, and tonight I made spicy turkey sausage pasta! I think it's the effect of having eaten nothing but junk food, fast food and fire roasted hotdogs for 5 days! It obviously made me want to sit down and enjoy a nice meal with a glass of wine...



I finally took a picture of the Rocky Mountains.  They are in the distance, and again slightly hazy, but it is so amazing to know I am that close!



Lastly, I met up with Beth to go out to the farm and meet her horse Lux. It was so good to see her after being apart for so long, and it is so great to know someone out here who can help show me the ropes! There were some interesting characters there - mainly the funny goat who followed us around like a dog just begging to be pet!







Overall, a busy day! I probably won't post another blog post for a few days as the job search is going to be keeping me busy! I have some fun things planned for the weekend, so I will update everyone after that!

No comments:

Post a Comment